P.O. Box 80654
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
I can turn your software ideas into reality, from requirements gathering to design, implementation, testing, deployment, and support. I have had over twenty years of experience in software design. I have worked in environments ranging from one-person startups to companies of over 25,000 people, and have led teams of up to ten people.
- Programming web-based applications in object-oriented Perl, Template::Toolkit, Catalyst, HTML::Mason, and several dialects of SQL.
- Development methodologies including Scrum/Agile and waterfall.
- Development tools including git, CVS, Subversion, Perforce, make, and Debian package construction.
- Analytics and reporting using Apache Hadoop and Hive.
- June 2020 – present: Senior Software Engineer, MediaAlpha, 2563 152nd Ave NE, Suite E, Redmond, WA 98052.
- Duties: I develop software for lead integration into our insurance vertical, conversion imports, and our reporting system. We use jQuery, Apache, OO Perl, and MySQL.
- November 2017 – August 2018: Senior Software Engineer, Microsoft, 16051 NE 36th Way, Redmond, WA 98052.
- Duties: I developed software to help Microsoft Office engineers do their jobs. The major product I worked on was oSnap, a tool for profiling build breaks so that engineers could share fixes for those breaks in a manner similar to a social medium. I led the initiative to reach out to oSnap's customers and find out how to serve their needs better. We used C#, SQL Server, CodeFlow 2, Visual Studio Team Services, git, and Source Depot.
- November 2015 – November 2017: Senior Software Engineer, ZipRecruiter, 401 Wilshire #1100, Santa Monica, CA 90401.
- Duties: I developed software to allow employers to post jobs, recruit and evaluate candidates, and report on their overall progress in hiring. My biggest impact was in developing a field to improve the speed of job searches which worked like a calculated field, but without using that capability or database triggers, which were not available in that environment. We used Apache, Template::Toolkit, Catalyst, MySQL, OO Perl, XML, AWS, S3, and JSON.
- April 2015 – November 2015: Software Engineer, LiquidPixels, 4 Preston Court #100, Bedford, MA 01730.
- Duties: I developed an application to allow internal personnel and customers to administer their imaging servers. This product helped us to automate provisioning servers based on existing inventory. We used Apache, MySQL, HTML::Mason, OO Perl, XML, and JSON.
- October 2014 – April 2015: Senior Software Engineer, 10 Corporate Drive #300, Burlington, MA 01803.
- Duties: I developed applications to integrate domain registration data with an ExactTarget
email marketing system, and other product support as required. This helped Endurance to manage its customer relations across multiple companies within Endurance's corporate holdings. We used Apache, MySQL, HTML::Mason, OO Perl, GnuPG, and JSON.
- March 2014 – September 2014: Principal Engineer, Synacor, 1 Technology Park Drive, Westford, MA 01886.
- Duties: I developed an application to serve syndicated material based on ingested content feeds. My major contribution was a tool to detect feed misconfigurations before they were deployed, and to help our customer service people write better configurations. We used Memcached, Varnish, Apache, mod_perl, Catalyst, OO Perl, and JSON.
- November 2012 – February 2014: Development Manager, Nami Media, 6701 Center Drive West #1300, Los Angeles, CA 90045.
- June 2011 – August 2012: Software Engineer, ValueClick Media, 30699 Russell Ranch Road, Suite 250, Westlake Village, CA 91362.
- May 2009 – February 2010: Contractor, UpNorth Vet, 9100 West Bloomington Freeway, Suite 142, Bloomington, MN 55431.
- February 2008 – May 2009: Contractor, Strategic Staffing Solutions, 333 Washington Avenue, Suite 320, Minneapolis, MN 55401.
- March 2005 – June 2006: Senior Developer, Freescale Semiconductor, 7700 West Parmer Lane, Austin, TX 78729.
- January 2003 – December 2004: Senior Programmer, Netzah, 2819 Foster #162, Austin, TX 78757.
- Duties: I co-founded Netzah; I designed and implemented an IPSec VPN router with easy configurability and secure upgradability from a remote repository; I provided installation and configuration support for this router, taking it from concept to deployment. Netzah was purchased by ERF Wireless. I am an author of patent #7,818,790 describing the VPN router. We used OO Perl and the Debian package management system.
- August 2001 – June 2002: Senior Technical Specialist, Matrix.Net, 1106 Clayton Lane #501W, Austin, TX 78726.
- March 1999 – August 2001: Programmer, FundsXpress, 11950 Jollyville Road, Austin, TX 78759.
- June 1998 – March 1999: Software Engineer, Scientific Measurement Systems, 2210 Denton, Suite 106, Austin, TX 78758.
- Duties: I maintained and developed ACQUIRE, the PC data acquisition and motor control program for SMS computerized tomography systems.
- May 1995 – May 1998: Programmer, National Business Control Systems, 2201 Denton, Suite 106, Austin, TX 78758.
- Duties: I developed embedded Zilog Z180 firmware and PC host software for NBCS fuel management and access control systems. I provided electronic design support and field service as required.
- May 1994 – April 1995: Engineer, MyTech Corporation, 706 Brentwood, Austin, TX 78752.
- Duties: I developed embedded Microchip PIC16C71 firmware and hardware for MyTech’s occupancy sensors, including automatic sensitivity adjustment features and digital signal processing, and wrote Patent #5,640,143 for same.
- January 1992 – January 1993: Assistant Programmer, Texas Research International, 9063 Bee Caves, Austin, TX 78733.
- Duties: I designed software to drive an automated accelerated life testing apparatus for pipe heating cables. I wrote support programs for the MFLIS magnetic cable-fault detection system. I tested and debugged printed circuit boards for the JSIIDS alarm system.
- June 1991 – August 1991: Assistant Programmer, Texas Research International.
- Duties: I designed software to perform spectrographic analyses of aged satellite batteries via the Schlumberger 1260 Impedance Analyzer, and performed said tests.
- June 1990 – August 1990: Honors Scholar, Applied Research Laboratories, 10100 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78758.
- Duties: I performed experiments to test penetration of sound in sediment at shallow angles.
- June 1988 – August 1988 and June 1989 – August 1989: Assistant Programmer, Texas Research International.
- Duties: I wrote software to analyze the failure of sonar arrays undergoing accelerated life testing.
- June 1987 – August 1987: Defense Engineering Apprentice, Applied Research Laboratories.
- Duties: I wrote software and built hardware to interface IBM PC’s to Hewlett-Packard desktop computers via a GPIB interface.
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, May 1994. Concentrations in Communications and Biomedical Engineering.
Main About Naming Schemes Resume Projects Bad Business Ideas Other Hosted Sites Contact Me